- Guilcher SJT, Hamilton-Wright S, Skinner W, Woodhall-Melnik J, Ferentzy P, Wendaferew A, Hwang SW, Matheson FI. Talk with me: Perspectives on services for men with problem gambling and housing instability. BMC Health Services Research.
- Matheson FI., Dunn JR, Smith K, Moineddin R, Glazier RH. “Development of the Canadian Marginalization Index: a new tool for the study of inequality.” Canadian Journal of Public Health, 2012: 103(Supplement 2): S12-S16.
- van der Maas, M., Mann, R.E., Turner, N.E., Matheson, FI, McCready, J. Problem gambling in a sample of older adult casino gamblers: Associations with gambling participation and motivations. Accepted June 2016, Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Kirst M, Aery A, Matheson FI, and Stergiopoulos V. Provider and consumer perceptions of trauma informed practices and services for substance use and mental health problems. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction.
- Barker L, Kurdyak P, Fung K, Matheson FI, Vigod, S. Postpartum psychiatric emergency visits: a nested case-control study. Archives of Women’s Mental Health.
- Woodhall-Melnik J, Hamilton-Wright S, Daoud, N, Matheson FI, Dunn JR, O’Campo P. Establishing Stability: Exploring the Meaning of ‘Home’ for Women who Have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment.
- Murphy KE, Park AL, Matheson FI, Gozdyra P, Bartsch E, Creatore MI, Ray JG. Preterm delivery in relation to neighbourhood-level adult premature mortality. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 2016;38(3):258-264.
- Woodhall-Melnik J, Matheson FI. More than Convenience: The Role of Habitus in Understanding the Food Choices of Fast Food Workers. Employment, and Society. DOI: 10.1177/0950017016648255
- Ray JG, Turner L, Gozdyra P, Matheson FI, Bartsch E, Park, AL. (2015). On-premise alcohol establishments and ambulance calls for trauma, assault and intoxication. Medicine.
- Baxter, A, Salmon, C, Dufresne, K, Carasco-Lee, A, Matheson, FI. (2016). Gender differences in felt stigma and barriers to help-seeking for problem gambling. Addictive Behaviors Reports.
- Creatore MI, Glazier RH, Moineddin R, Fazli GS, Johns A, Gozdyra P, Matheson FI, Kaufman‐Shriqui V, Rosella LC, Manuel D, Booth GL. Association of Neighborhood Walkability with Change in Overweight, Obesity, and Diabetes. JAMA.
- Schuler A, Ferentzy P, Turner NE, Skinner W, McIsaac KE, Ziegler CP, Matheson FI. Gamblers Anonymous as a recovery pathway: A scoping review. Journal of Gambling Studies.
- Devotta KA, Woodhall-Melnik JR, Pedersen C, Wendaferew A, Dowbor TP, Guilcher SJ, Hamilton-Wright S, Ferentzy P, Hwang SW, Matheson FI. Enriching qualitative research by engaging peer interviewers: A case study. Qualitative Research.
- Kouyoumdjian FG, Schuler A, Matheson FI, Hwang SW. The health status of prisoners in Canada: A narrative review. Canadian Family Physician, Can Fam Physician 2016;62:215-22.
- Kouyoumdjian FG, Schuler A, McIsaac KE, Pivnick L, Matheson FI, Brown G, Kiefer L, Silva D, Hwang SW. Using a Delphi process to define priorities for prison health research in Canada. BMJ open 6, no. 1 (2016): e010125.
- Velonis A, Daoud N, Matheson FI, Woodhall-Melnik J, Hamilton-Wright S, O’Campo P. Strategizing Safety –Theoretical Frameworks to Understand Women’s Decision Making in the Face of Partner Violence and Social Inequities. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Kouyoumdjian FG, Schuler A, Hwang SW, Matheson FI. Research on the health of people who experience detention or incarceration in Canada: A scoping review. BMC Public Health, 2015: 15, 419.
- Matheson FI, Daoud N, Hamilton-Wright S, Borenstein H, O’Campo P. Where did she go? The transformation of self-esteem, self-identity and mental well-being among women who have experienced intimate partner violence. Women’s Health Issues
- Kryszajtys, D ; Hahmann, T E ; Schuler, A ; Hamilton-Wright, S ; Ziegler, C P. ; Matheson, F. Violent and non-violent delinquent behaviours linked to problem gambling in teenagers. Gambling Research Exchange Ontatrio. May 2018.
- Lamanna D, Shapiro GK, Krist M, Matheson FI, Nakhost A, Stergiopoulos V. Co-responding police-mental health programmes: Service user experiences and outcomes in a large urban centre. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2018 April; 27(2):891-900 Publishsed
- Kryszajtys DT, Hahmann, TE, Schuler A, Hamilton-Wright S, Ziegler CP, & Matheson FI. (2018). Problem Gambling and Delinquent Behaviours Among Adolescents: A Scoping Review. Journal of Gambling Studies.
- Baumann RM, Hamilton-Wright S, Riley DL, Brown K, Hunt C, Michalak A, Matheson FI. (2018). Experiences of Violence and Head Injury Among Women and Transgender Women Sex Workers, Sexuality Research and Social Policy DOI: 10.1007/s13178-018-0334-0 Published
- Woodhall-Melnik, J, Dunn, J R, Svenson, S, Patterson, C, & Matheson, FI. (2018). Men’s experiences of early life trauma and pathways into long-term homelessness. Child Abuse & Neglect, 80, 216-225. 2018 June. Co-Author. Published
- Kouyoumdjian FG, Cheng S, Kinwah F, Orkin A, Mcisaac K, Kendall C, Kiefer L, Matheson FI, Green SE., Hwang s. Health care utilization of people released from provincial prison in Ontario, Canada in 2010: A population-based cohort study” Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. February 2018
- van der Maas M, Mann RE, Matheson FI, Turner NE, Hamilton HA, McCready J. A free ride? An analysis of the association of casino bus tours and problem gambling among older adults. Addiction 2017 Jun 23. Published
- Turner NE, McAvoy S, Ferentzy P, Matheson FI, Myers C, Jindani F, Littman-Sharp N, Malat J. Addressing the Issue of Problem Gambling in the Criminal Justice System: A Series of Case Studies. Journal of Gambling Issues. Impact factor: 0.66. February 2017. Co-principal author.
- Schuler, A., Ferentzy, P., Turner, N.E., Skinner, W., McIsaac, K.E., Ziegler, C.P. & Matheson, F.I. (2016). Gamblers Anonymous as a recovery pathway: A scoping review. Journal of Gambling Studies, 32 (4), 1261-1278. doi: 10.1007/s10899-016-9596-8
MOST SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS
- McIsaac, KE, MacDonald, SF, Chong, N, Moser, A, Moineddin, R, Colantonio, A, Nathens, A, Matheson, FI. Creating a Powerful Platform to Explore Health in a Correctional Population: A Record Linkage Study. PLOS ONE, 2016, 11(8), p.e0161173. Impact Factor 2.639. Co-Principal Author.
Description: Conceptualized the study, co-conceptualized the paper, directed the analysis and wrote the manuscript. Trainee: McIsaac, KE, post-doctoral fellow. This paper reflects the creation of a unique partnership with Correctional Service of Canada to mutually explore traumatic brain injury (TBI) in the federal prison population in Canada. This paper describes a rare database – it’s only kind in Canada and one of a handful internationally – representing people federally incarcerated in Ontario between 1998 and 2013. With it there is great potential to identify where interventions are best placed to reduce health inequities among this population. For example, the TBI project is designed to help CSC understand the extent of the problem in their population and to look for ways to ensure that people with TBI are treated equitably during their time in federal custody.
- Matheson, FI, Brazil A, Doherty S, Forrester P. A Call for Help: Women Offenders’ Reflections on Trauma Care. Women & Criminal Justice, 2015, 0:1–15. DOI: 10.1080/08974454.2014.909760. Principal Author.
Description: Conceptualized the study, Co-conceptualized the paper, analysis, revised and edited drafts and assisted with development of conclusions and recommendations. This paper highlighted the impact of trauma on women who experienced federal incarceration. The paper received National Media attention. I was interviewed by Marcie Len with Canada-AM and Pauline Dakin with CBC Radio. A co-author (Amanda Brazil) did 10 with the CBC Radio Syndicate across Canada (coordinated by Andrew Parker).
- Matheson FI, Devotta K, Wendaferew A, Pedersen C. Prevalence of Gambling Problems among the Clients of a Toronto Homeless Shelter. Journal of Gambling Studies, 2014, 30: 537-546. Impact Factor 2.639. Principal Author.
Description: Conceptualized the study and paper, analysis, drafted the paper and developed conclusions and recommendations. This is one of only two Canadian studies which documented the extraordinarily high prevalence of problem and pathological gambling among men facing homelessness/poverty. The findings indicate that 35% of the men using shelter and housing services at an inner city Toronto agency reported lifetime problem and pathological gambling as compared to 3% in the general population. They study is pivotal for laying the groundwork for my continued research in this area and to identify gaps and barriers to care from the service provider and consumer perspective. The paper received national media attention, distributed by 11 media outlets and featured in the National Post (Jason Rehel).
- Matheson FI, Dunn, JR, Smith KLW, Moineddin R, Glazier RH. Development of the Canadian Marginalization Index: a new tool for the study of inequality. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 2012, 103(Suppl. 2):S12-S. Impact Factor 1.567. Trainee: Smith KLW. Principal Author.
Description: Conceptualized the study, paper, analysis, drafted the paper and developed conclusions and recommendations. This paper reflects the nature of small area geographic marginalization in Canada. The uptake on the Ontario version of the index (Ontario Marginalization Index) was greater than expected with over 50 papers citing use of the index to explore a variety of health issues. Public Health Ontario (PHO) and the Canadian Institute for Health Information have endorsed the index. I presented the index at a pre-conference workshop at the Canadian Population Health Association meetings in June 2012 (hosted by CIHI). PHO has hosted two webinars to disseminate information about the index, the most recent in June 2016 to announce our partnership to re-develop the index for 2011 with the census and alternative data sources.
- Matheson FI, Moineddin R, Glazier RH. The weight of place: a multilevel analysis of gender, neighborhood material deprivation and body mass index among Canadian adults. Social Science and Medicine, 2008, 66(3): 675-690. Impact Factor 3.544. Principal Author.
Description: Conceptualized the study, co-conceptualized paper, analysis, revised paper and helped developed conclusions and recommendations. This paper highlighted that neighbourhood stress was differentially related to body weight among men and women. The paper received Local (Toronto Star – Joseph Hall, Toronto Sun – Sharon Lem) and National media attention (Globe and Mail – Caroline Alphonso) and spawned the community forum, “Women, Weight, & Where You Live” as part of a Community Discussion Series on Neighbourhoods and Health sponsored by the Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St. Michael’s Hospital.
OPEN ACCESS PUBLICATIONS
Baxter, A., Salmon, C., Dufresne, K., Carasco-Lee, A., — Matheson, F.I. (2016). Gender differences in felt stigma and barriers to help-seeking for problem gambling. Addictive Behaviors Reports, 3, 1-8.
Devotta, K., Woodhall-Melnik, J., Pedersen, C., Wendaferew, A., Dowbor, T. P., Guilcher, S. J. Hamilton-Wright, S, Ferentzy, P, Hwang, SW, Matheson, FI. (2016). Enriching qualitative research by engaging peer interviewers: a case study. Qualitative Research. doi:10.1177/1468794115626244
Guilcher, S. J., Hamilton-Wright, S., Skinner, W., Woodhall-Melnik, J., Ferentzy, P., Wendaferew, A., Hwang, S.W., Matheson, F.I. (2016). “Talk with me”: perspectives on services for men with problem gambling and housing instability. BMC Health Services Research, 16(1), 340.
Hamilton-Wright, S., Woodhall-Melnik, J., Guilcher, S. J., Schuler, A., Wendaferew, A., Hwang, S. W., — Matheson, F. I. (2016). Gambling in the Landscape of Adversity in Youth: Reflections from Men Who Live with Poverty and Homelessness. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 13(9). doi:10.3390/ijerph13090854
Schuler, A., Ferentzy, P., Turner, N. E., Skinner, W., McIsaac, K. E., Ziegler, C. P., — Matheson, F. I. (2016). Gamblers Anonymous as a Recovery Pathway: A Scoping Review. Journal of Gambling Studies, 1-18.
Ferentzy, P., Wayne Skinner, W. J., — Matheson, F. I. (2013). Illicit drug use and problem gambling. ISRN Addiction, 2013.
Matheson, F.I., Devotta, K., Wendaferew, A., Pedersen, C. (2014). Prevalence of Gambling Problems Among the Clients of a Toronto Homeless Shelter. Journal of Gambling Studies, 30(2). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24569904
PLAIN LANGUAGE SUMMARIES
A review of Gamblers Anonymous for treating problem gambling
Gambling Problems Among the Clients of a Toronto Homeless Shelter.
The Use of Self-Management Strategies for Problem Gambling: A Scoping Review
2019-04-09_Self-Management Scoping Review Plain Language Report