Dr. Andrew Baker is the Chief of the Department of Critical Care and the Medical Director of the Trauma and Neurosurgery Program at St. Michael’s Hospital. He is the inaugural Cara Phelan Chair of Critical Care Medicine and a Professor in the Departments of Anesthesia and Surgery at the University of Toronto. He is the Vice President of the Physicians’ Services Incorporated Foundation. He has been involved in provincial organizations, such as Trillium Gift of Life Network as a director for ten years, and as a subject matter expert for Critical Care Services Ontario on ethical issues of access. Andrew directs a brain injury laboratory in the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science.
- Quan W, Zhang Z, Tian Q, Wen X, Yu P, Wang D, Cui W, Zhou L, Park E, Baker AJ, Zhang J, Jiang R. A rat model of chronic subdural hematoma: Insight into mechanisms of revascularization and inflammation. Brain Res. 2015 Aug 24. pii: S0006-8993(15)00651-4. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2015.08.017. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 2631537788.
- Alex P Di Battista, John E Buonora, Shawn G Rhind, Michael Gary Hutchison, Andrew J Baker, Sandro B. Rizoli, Ramon Diaz-Arrastia, Gregory P Mueller. Blood biomarkers in moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury: potential utility of a multimarker approach in characterizing outcome. Front. Neurol., 26 May 2015. doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2015.00110. E-published
- Shemie SD, Baker A. Uniformity in brain death criteria. Semin Neurol. 2015 Apr;35(2):162-8. PMID: 25839725.
- Buonora JE, Yarnell AM, Lazarus RC, Mousseau M, Latour LL, Rizoli SB, Baker AJ, Rhind SG, Diaz-Arrastia R, Mueller G. Multivariate analysis of traumatic brain injury: development of an assessment score. Front Neurol. 2015 Mar 30;6:68. PMID: 25870583.
- Shemie SD, Baker A. Where have we been? Where are we going? Initiatives to improve uniformity of policies, integrity of practice, and improve understanding of brain death within the global medical community and lay public. J Crit Care. 2014 Dec;29(6):1114-6. PMID:25201431.
- Hawryluck L, Baker AJ, Faith A, Singh JM. The future of decision-making in critical care after Cuthbertson v. Rasouli. Can J Anaesth. 2014 Oct;61(10):951-958. PMID: 25164242.
- Baker A, Shemie SD. Biophilosophical basis for identifying the death of a person. J Crit Care. 2014 Aug;29(4):687-9. PMID: 24930370.
- Topolovec-Vranic J, Santos M, Baker AJ, Smith OM, Burns KE. Deferred consent in a minimal-risk study involving critically ill subarachnoid hemorrhage patients. Can Respir J. 2014 Jun 10. pii: 16277. PMID:24914705.
- Dhanani S, Hornby L, Ward R, Baker A, Dodek P, Chamber-Evans J, Fowler R, Friedrich JO, Gow RM, Kutsogiannis DJ,McIntyre L, Momoli F, Morin K, Ramsay T, Scales D, Writer H, Yildirim S, Young B, Shemie S. Vital Signs After Cardiac Arrest Following Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Therapy: A Multicenter Prospective Observational Study. Crit Care Med. 2014 May 7. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24810533.
- Friedrich JO, Baker AJ. Optimizing the approach to pain, agitation, and delirium in critical care. Can J Anaesth. 2014 Jul;61(7):605-10. PMID:24798256.
- Bell JD, Thomas TC, Lass EH , Ai J, Wan H, Lifshitz J, Baker AJ, Macdonald RL. Platelet-mediated changes to neuronal glutamate receptor expression at sites of microthrombosis following experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg. 2014 Dec;121(6):1424-31. PMID:24745710.
- Shemie SD, Hornby L, Baker A, Teitelbaum J, Torrance S, Young K, Capron AM, Bernat JL, Noel L; and The International Guidelines for Determination of Death phase 1 participants, in collaboration with the World Health Organization. International guideline development for the determination of death. Intensive Care Med. 2014 Jun;40(6):788-97. PMID:24664151.
- Park KJ, Park E, Liu E, Baker AJ. Bone-marrow derived endothelial progenitor cells protect post-ischemic axons following traumatic brain injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2014 Feb;34(2):357-66. PMID: 24301295.