I am currently the Medical Director of the Allan Waters Family Simulation Centre and the Director of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit & Deputy Chief Pediatrics at St. Michael’s Hospital. I am also an Associate Scientist at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute. I am cross-appointed at the Hospital for Sick Children, where I work as a Staff Neonatologist. My academic rank at the University of Toronto is that of an Associate Professor within the Department of Pediatrics.
My two main areas of interest are clinical neonatology (nutrition and ventilation) and the use of simulation for neonatal resuscitation team-training.
My clinical neonatal experience and simulation background has formed a large part of my academic career as an educator, administrator and researcher. I received simulation training at Stanford University at the Center for Advanced Perinatal Education (CAPE) and am the current simulation co-lead, at the University of Toronto’s Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. I am a past member of the Canadian Pediatric Society National Resuscitation Program (NRP) Executive Committee and past Chair of the NRP Research Committee. International recognition for my work in simulation has included election to the Board of Directors of the International Pediatric Simulation Society (IPSS).
1. Wong J, Manhas D, Campbell DM, Moussa A, Sawyer TL. Procedural Experience of Canadian Neonata-Perinatal Medicine. J Clin Neonatology 2019;8:47-53. DOI:10.4103/jcn.JCN_110_18.
2. Nashid N, Khan S, Loutfy M, MacGillivray J, Yudin MH, Campbell DM, Barozzino T,, Baqi M, Read SE, Bitnun A. Breastfeeding by women living with HIV in a resource-rich setting: a case series of maternal and infant management and outcomes. Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society. (accepted for print January 8,2019). DOI: 10.1093/jpids/piz003.
3. Chan N, Hollamby K Mistry N, Campbell, DM. A simulation-based pilot study of a mobile application (NRP Prompt) as a cognitive aid for neonatal resuscitation training. Simulation in Healthcare SIH-D-18-00112R2 (accepted for publication October 19, 2018).
4. Oatley H, Borkhoff CM, Chen S, Macarthur C, Persaud N, Birken CS, Maguire JL, Patricia C. Parkin PC on behalf of the TARGet Kids! Collaboration [Campbell, DM]. Screening for iron deficiency in early childhood using serum ferritin in the primary care setting. Pediatrics. 2018;142(6):e20182095
5. Petrosoniak A, Brydges R, Nemoy L, Campbell DM. Adapting form to function:can simulation serve our healthcare system and educational needs? Advances in Simulation (Lond). 2018 Jun14;3:8 https://doi.org/10.1186/s41077-018-0067-4
6. O’Connor DL, Kiss A, Tomlinson C, Bando N, Bayliss A, Campbell DM, Daneman A, Francis J, Kotsopoulos K, Shah PS, Vaz S, Williams B, Unger S. Human milk-based compared to a bovine milk-based fortifier to nutrient-enrich human milk for infants born ‹1250 grams: a randomized clinical trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2018;9:1-9. Manuscript ID AJCN/2018/175521.
7. A newborn infant with respiratory distress: More than meets the eye. Gill PJ, Campbell DM. J Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Mar;54(3):327-329. doi: 10.1111/jpc.13750. Epub 2017 Nov 6. PMID: 29106049
8. Sgro M, Kobylianski A, Yudin M, Tran D, Diamand J, Sgro J, Campbell DM. Early Onset Neonatal Sepsis in Canada: 2011-2012. Paediatrics & Child Health. April 2018
9. Gill PJ, Campbell DM. A newborn infant with respiratory distress: more than meets the eye. Journal of Paediatrics & Child Health. J Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Mar;54(3):327-329. Doi: 10.111/jpc.13750 PMID: 29106049
10. Lau E, Brophy J, Samson L, Kakkar F, Campbell DM, Yudin MH, Murphy K, Seto W, Colantonio D, Read SE, Bitnum A. Nevirapine (NVP) Pharmacokinetics and Safety in Neonates Receiving Combination Antiretroviral Therapy for Prevention of Vertical HIV Transmission. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2017;74(5):493, April 15, 2017.