Who is a graduate student?

DescriptionWill they receive academic credit?Are they paid by St. Michael's Hospital?If paid by St. Michael's Hospital - Type of tax slip:St. Michael's Hospital employee?
Graduate students must be registered in a recognized university Masters or PhD program and are at St. Michael's Hospital under a formal arrangement between the Hospital and the university. The graduate students are completing their graduate studies thesis/research while at St. Michael's, which is a requirement of their graduate studies education. Their university graduate studies thesis supervisor is a St. Michael's Hospital investigator. YesYes and no. Graduate students typically receive an annual stipend from either the university or St. Michael's Hospital directly. If the funds being used to pay the graduate student are held at St. Michael's Hospital, then the graduate student will be paid their stipend directly from St. Michael's Hospital. T4ANo

How to register:

Steps for supervisors

a) Complete the bar code identification form for your trainee

b) If your trainee will be receiving a stipend thought St. Michael’s (Unity Health Toronto) – please complete this email template.

c) Email the forms from steps a and b to rtc@smh.ca

Steps for trainees

a) Congratulations on your acceptance to your graduate program! Your next step is to get registered at the St. Michael’s Hospital Research Training Centre. Click here to access the getting started document. For international trainees, student and visitor, Immigration Canada is now requiring a new process for all foreign workers – Guide to completing Immigration Canada’s offer of employment

New to Toronto?

Information for international trainees