If you want to become a research volunteer at St. Michael’s Hospital, you must first find a potential research supervisor through the Researcher or Research Programs sections of our website. It’s important to ensure you are interested in their research and the topic is relevant to your field of study or professional experience.
Download and complete the Research Volunteer Application Form.
Email the completed form directly to the researcher(s) you’ve selected. Keep in mind that many researchers can receive hundreds of inquiries regarding volunteer opportunities, so it’s important to have a good understanding of the researcher’s work before you contact them. If the researcher has a volunteer opportunity available, they will let you know.
If the researcher agrees to be your supervisor and you decide to work together, your supervisor will contact the Office of Research Administration at St. Michael’s Hospital to initiate the application process.
Once you’ve completed your registration with the Office of Research Administration, you must obtain an ID Badge in order to access all St. Michael’s Hospital locations. The office of Research Administration will provide you with instructions.
The St. Michael’s Hospital Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program (CHIRPP) is an injury and poisoning surveillance system that collects and analyzes data on injuries and poisonings that come through the emergency department. This program exists at 11 pediatric hospitals and 6 general hospitals in Canada.
We’re looking for volunteers with the following qualifications:
– Minimum: high school diploma; foreign MDs are encouraged to apply.
– Interest in interacting with patients of a diverse background.
– Previous experience with patients in obtaining consent and administering questionnaires or prior research experience is a plus;
– Experience in data entry;
– Ability to work flexible hours when needed- some overnight, weekend and evening shifts
– Excellent communication skills and problem solving skills
– Willing to volunteer a minimum of four 8 hour shifts per month
Individuals interested in applying for a volunteer research assistant position should forward the following information to the Injury Prevention Research Office:
1. A cover letter that includes your: full contact information (address, phone number, and e‐mail), and your personal, professional, and academic interests and goals related to the opportunities
2. Your curriculum vitae or resume
3. Transcripts (unofficial) from highest degree obtained
4. Three references
CVs/resumes and cover letters should be e‐mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here for more information about the CHIRPP.
Research Employee Coordinator
Office of Research Administration
Phone: 416-864-6060 x3077
Note: If you’re interested in volunteering within the Hospital, and not within Research, please visit Volunteering at St. Michael’s.