If there is a biohazardous spill, you must:
- Evacuate the laboratory for a time sufficient for most aerosols to settle or be dispersed or removed by the ventilation system (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Carefully layer absorbent material over the spill, starting from the outer edge of the spill and working in towards the centre. Place materials in a biohazard bag (yellow).
- Repeat until all of the spill is absorbed.
- Pour a strong disinfectant over the area of spill (e.g. Bleach, Virox) for a time expected to allow for decontamination. Use absorbent material to carefully remove the disinfectant and dispose of it into a biohazard bag
- Decontaminate all surfaces or pieces of equipment exposed to the spill with a suitable disinfectant.